perhaps home is not a place but simply an irrevocable condition
The forced cohabitation of these days tests even the most solid relationships, after the lockdown in Wuhan, many couples, being forced to live together 24 hours a day in confined spaces, decided to get a divorce.
But if on the one hand the restrictions linked to quarantine have made us intolerant towards the other both inside and outside the house, if domestic violence has increased, if the crisis born from the pandemic has highlighted all the fragilities and injustices of our way of life; on the other hand this situation has also generated a great wave of human and transnational solidarity and inside our homes we have also discovered and learned to appreciate the resilience of our partners and family members, who have surprised us with unexpected qualities.
Our intention, like in many of our works, is to connect two people, the project is therefore only achievable through the collaboration of two people that will be encouraged to foster a sincere exchange of views and to produce a mutual gift.
We ask you to list all the virtues and flaws that you have found in your partner in the form of adjectives and at the end to choose an adjective that represents the defect that you bear the least and one that represents the quality that you love the most about the other.
When you have chosen the two adjectives, take a pair of your partner’s underwear and embroider the two adjectives, one on the front and one on the back. You choose which one you want to embroider on the front or back.
We would be very happy if you took a picture of yourselves wearing the embroidered underwear and send it to us.
Here are the instructions to embroider on a garment in a simple way:
1) Write the word on a sheet of paper on a scale of 1:1.
2) If you have a printer you can also print your word, always in 1:1 scale, using a character of your choice.
3) Locate the point where you want to embroider the word, measuring and placing your adjective in the centre.
4) Draw over the letters on the back of the sheet of paper with a soft pencil in contrasting color with the color of your underwear.
5) Place the sheet of paper on your underwear and tape it with adhesive tape.
6) Redraw the writing on the front of the sheet with the pencil in order to leave a trace on the garment.
7) Take needle and thread (normal sewing thread, double) and, starting from the inside so that you can’t see the knot, follow the trace of the word with a basting stitch.
8) Repeat the operation on the back of the underwear.